Virtualization enables on-demand-provisioning of servers running several choices of operating systems and customized software stacks. This leaves the consumer to handle OS, middleware and application deployment on self-service virtual machines that can be started and destroyed on demand.
On-Demand Infrastructure Abstraction
- Abstraction of the hardware layers
- Consumer just requests resources now (self service)
- On-demand growth and reduction (depending on the virtualization tooling)
“Basically, you get as much resources as you need, whenever you want them, available in an instant.”
- You can have it in-house
- You can have it in combination with an external data center
- You can have it provided to you by service providers (Amazon EC2, Windows Azure)
Reasons for utilizing virtual infrastructure
- Reduce the time it takes to setup new machines
- Reduce the time needed for administration
- Increase the number of possible deployments
- Increase the speed of delivering new software versions
- Standardize recurring work with automation (e.g. Chef/Puppet/Ansible)
- Uniformity of production configuration
- Independence of hardware
The most reliable way to build servers is to remove the natural variances introduced by individuals. So automate!
How hardware planning used to be without virtualization
- Get exact specifications of hardware needed
- Order and setup hardware
- Configure hardware manually
- Test the whole setup
Hardware planning with virtualization
- All this work is already done by the infrastructure provider
- You only have to think about the virtual resources you need
OpenStack as Virtualization Solution
- OpenStack is a free and open-source infrastructure platform
- OpenStack is primarily deployed as a flexible infrastructure solution
- OpenStack consists of a series of interrelated projects that control pools of processing, storage, and networking resources throughout a data center
OpenStack aims to deliver solutions for all types of deployments by being
- Simple to implement
- Massively scalable
Who’s behind OpenStack?
- Founded by Rackspace Hosting and NASA
- Promotes the development, distribution and adoption of OpenStack
- 17,738+ individual members from 141 countries and 850 different organizations
- Secured more than $10 million in funding
Who is using OpenStack?
OpenStack Powers Demanding Production Workloads Worldwide.
All these organizations use OpenStack to achieve:
- Business agility
- Cost saving
Alternatives to OpenStack
One alternative we often encounter when consulting our customers are VMWare’s commercial solutions like vSphere, vCenter and vCloud Suite.